Mrs. Bali’s First Grade News
January 11, 2019
Review of our week:
This week I have spent some time assessing and doing some reviewing where we needed it. In Math we finished up related facts and will be starting our next chapter on place value. We also started a new unit in our CKLA skills. We are reading informational text about animals that live in a zoo.
In First grade we have been doing some math groups. We gave a common assessment with addition problems up to 20. We then divided them into groups. One teacher is working with the students who could use a little more help with counting on and the other 2 teachers are working with the kids who understand it and just need fluency practice.
As First Grade teachers we went through the core and decided and what was the most important math and reading concepts we wanted them to know by the end of the year. In our math groups we are working on these skills.
After your child has finished reading their book, I would like you to have them tell you what happened in the book and also ask them some questions to clarify. Most of them are getting to the point where they can decode very well, now we need to start working on comprehension and fluency.
I have packets of books on each reading level. If you would be interested in some extra books for your child to read on their reading level, please let me know.
* Keep saving your Box Tops.
* Thanks for everything you have done. I really want to thank all of you who come in and read in the mornings.
· Monday, January 21 – No School (MLK)
· Wednesday, January 23 – Celebrate Jonah’s Birthday
· Friday, January 25 – Family Fun Day
· Monday, January 28 – Celebrate Evelyn’s Birthday
· Monday, January 28 – Family Fun Day (Blackburn)
· Wednesday, January 30 – Celebrate Lucy’s Birthday
· Friday, February 1 – Celebrate Hunter’s ½ Birthday
· February 4-8 – SEP Week (School gets out at 2:30 every day, even Wednesday.)
· Monday, February 4 – Celebrate Jonathan’s Birthday
· Friday, February 8 – Celebrate Julia & Mrs. Bali’s Birthdays
· Monday, February 18 – No School (President’s Day)
· Tuesday, February 19 – Spelling Bee
· Friday, February 22 – Family Fun Day
· Friday, March 1 Family Fun Day
· Friday, March 8 – End of Third Quarter
· Friday, March 8 – Family Fun Day
· March 11-12 – No School
· Friday, March 15 – Spring Pictures
· Friday, March 15 – Family Fun Day
· Friday, March 22 – Family Fun Day
· Wednesday, March 27 – Kindergarten Registration
· Friday, March 29 – Family Fun Day