Friday, April 5, 2013

April 5 Newsletter


Mrs. Bali’s First Grade News
April 4, 2013

Review of our week:
         Congratulations to those who participated in the Science Fair.  Lily from our class took 3rd place. There were some really neat experiments. In math we have been working on place value and shapes. We also had our store for the quarter last week.

Homework:
         I had several students who did not have very much money to spend at our store, because they have not been doing their homework or reading their take home book.  I really need you to keep working with your child.
On the math homework for this week, your child needs to find 3 things around your house in the shape of a circle, square, triangle and a rectangle.  They will also need to label them.  So, they will find 3 things in each of those shapes.  
        
Book Order:
I will be sending home 2 more book orders.  This would be a great way to get your child some books to read over the summer.  I will be sending one home today.  If you would like to order books they are due back on Thursday.  You can also order online.

Flat Stanley:
         I have attached a letter explaining what we are doing with Flat Stanley, please make sure you read it and get me your address as soon as possible. Please pick somebody who will take him and do some fun things with him.  This is one of the most fun activities we do. I would really like to get them in the mail on Monday.  You can even email the address.

Reading Celebration:
      To earn the reading celebration this year they decided as a school we should be able to read 1 Million minutes.  As a school for the month of March we only read 173,500 minutes.  We are not even close to our goal.  I have SO many in our class who are not even turning their reading records in.  I really need you to make sure they are reading and get them turned in.  I have stressed to them the importance of being honest. 

Portfolios:
         I would like to start getting the portfolios put together.  If you have not already sent your child’s binder and sheet protectors, please do so as soon as possible.  I have taken pictures throughout the year.  If you would like me to print them and put them in their portfolio, please send a $5 Walmart gift card.  If you would just like a CD with the pictures on it you can send $2.

Stuffed Animals:
         I am trying to come up with some new things we can do in our Daily 5.  I would like to get some stuffed animals that they could read during one of our reading times.  If any of you have a stuffed animal that you would be willing to donate to our class, I would really appreciate.  Please, don’t send anything that is important to your child.  I hope this will keep then interested until the end of the year. 

Thanks:
         I just wanted to tell all of you thanks for everything you have done this year.  I appreciate all of your help and support.  It makes my job so much easier with your help.
     
FYI’s:
* If you are planning on moving and will not be in our school next year, will you please let me know?  They would like to know, before making class lists for next year.

* I have put most everything on the upcoming events, until the end of the year.  I will explain later what some of them are.  I just want you to be aware of some of the things we will be doing.  The last couple of months, things get pretty crazy. The parents are invited to come to the First Grade Program.

Upcoming Events:
·      Monday, April 8 – Arts Night 6:30
·      Friday, April 12 – Family Fun Day
·      Friday, April 12 – Teacher Requests due
·      Friday, April 19 – Celebrate Alex’s Birthday
·      Friday, April 19 – Family Fun Day
·      Monday, April 22 – Celebrate Jonas’ Birthday
·      Friday, April 26 – Family Fun Day (Bryan Family)
·      Wednesday, May 1 – Celebrate Brooklyn’s Birthday
·      Friday, May 3 – Family Fun Day
·      Thursday, May 4 – First Grade Program in the gym @ 2:00
·      Friday, May 10 – Field Trip
·      Friday, May 17 – Family Fun Day
·      Monday, May 20 – Reading Celebration (If we earn it.)
·      Tuesday, May 21 – Field Day
·      Thursday, May 23 – Celebrate Aidan’s Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment