Thursday, September 8, 2016

September 9 Newsletter


Mrs. Bali’s First Grade News
September 9, 2016

Review of our week:
         We are almost finished with our unit on fables and fairy tales.  We will start a unit on the human body next week.  Each day we interview the leader and I am really seeing some improvement in our writing.  We have also been working on sentence structure. We did the chapter review yesterday, and took our math test on Monday. 
        
Homework:
         You and your child need to be reading for 20 minutes every night. We will start the Take Home Library next week.  These books are on your child’s independent reading level, they should be reading them to you.  They may seem easy and that is because they are or they should be.  They are one level lower than where I have them instructionally.   I would like your child to read the book a couple of times.  After they have read the book have them tell you what happened in the book and ask them some questions about the book for comprehension.  I did the assessments over the last couple of weeks to find their reading level.  By the time we start in our guided reading groups, some of them will be ready to move up.  Please, be patient with their take home book level until we start guided reading groups.  If your child is on a higher reading level, they won’t move through the levels as fast.
         I am going to send home the extra practice sheets all together.  You can have your child do these for extra practice, or you don’t have to.  There are some who could really use the extra practice, but I want their reading to be the priority.

Reading Parents:
         I would like to start having parents come in and read with the class in 2 weeks. They can be moms, dads or grandparents.   I will send a list of the parents who signed up next week with my newsletter.  If you can and would like to come in and read with us, we would love to have you.  Let me know if there is a day that would work for you.  
         At Back To School Night I had said we would do reading from 8:40-9:10.  If that time works for you, you can still come at that time.  I have looked at my schedule and decided that I can also have parents come from 11:15-11:45.  I will be pulling small groups at this time.  If this time works better, please let me know.

Reminders & FYI:
* Please make sure your child is here on time.  We cover a          lot of very important math concepts in our opening.  We are also doing bell work or finishing up from the day before.  I would really appreciate it if you had your child here on time.
     
* Remember Library books on Tuesday. I have asked my     class to keep their backpacks in their backpacks, so they are here every week.  Thanks

* Don’t forget to link your Smith’s Card to our school.  Ask grandparents and neighbors to do it also.  The school really makes a lot of money with this. 

* Please have your child wear their favorite T-Shirt on Monday.


Leaders for next week:
September 12 – Karter
September 13 – Lenox
September 14 – Logan
September 15 –Payton
September 16 – Russell

September 19 – Taeya
September 20 - Tiely

*Please send a snack if you can.  Remember nothing with nuts of any kind.  Thanks!!

Upcoming Events:
·      Monday, September 12 – South PTA Movie Night
·      Thursday, September 15 – Celebrate Payton’s Birthday
·      Friday, September 16 – Family Fun Day
·      Friday, September 23 – Family Fun Day
·      Friday, September 23 – Fall Pictures
·      Thursday, September 29 – Celebrate Logan’s Birthday
·      Friday, September 30 – Health Screenings
·      October 3-7 – SEP Week (School gets out at 2:30)
·      Friday, October 14 – End of 1st Quarter
·      Friday, October 14 – Family Fun Day

No comments:

Post a Comment