Friday, September 15, 2017

September 15 Newsletter


First Grade News
September 15, 2017

Review of our week:
         In math we started on Chapter 2, Subtraction Concepts. I was very happy with the scores from the math test.  I am sending them home today.  If your child wants to fix the ones they missed, they turn it back in for 100%.  We have started reading stories in our reading program and I am very happy with how well they are reading.

Office Things:
         I just wanted to remind you or make you aware if you didn’t know already about a few things.  Whenever you come to the school to read or anything else you need to check in at the office and get a visitors pass.  The other thing is if your child is gone, we need you to call the office and excuse them.  Mrs. Griffith has to call the parents of every child who is absent and see why they are not at school.  If they are going to be gone it is good to let me know, but will you please let Mrs. Griffith know also.  I don’t always have time to tell her.

Reading Parents:
         We will start reading next week.  If you or a grandparent would like to come in and read, we would love to have you.  Let me know if you are able to. When you come in I will have you listen to a child read 1-2 stories out of their Readers and then practice their sight words.  Soon, they will have books I am reading in Guided Reading Groups with them.  After awhile I will have you do fluency readings with them.

Sight Words:
         I have gone through the sight word lists I have and placed your child on a list they need to work on.  I sent most of these home last week.  They may only have 1 or 2 they need to work on.  When they have practiced and can read them with mastery, which is being able to read each word in a second (see it, say it) please sign the paper I have attached and return it.  I will have them pass the list off and get the new list.
        
Homework:
         I have some really fun prizes for those students who reach the reading goal.  The reading goal is at least 5 nights every week.  Even if every apple is not filled in please have your child turn in what they have read (when it is due). Please make sure you sign your child’s reading record.  It is very important your child is doing their reading homework.

Family Fun Day:
         I attached a copy of the paper on Family Fun Day to my email last week.  Usually they will be on Fridays, but if that does not work let me know and we can set up another day. I have dates listed in the upcoming events.  If there is one of those dates you would like, let me know.  If you have any questions please let me know.

Snacks:
We are finished with snacks and we won’t be doing them after today. If your child would like to bring their own healthy snack to eat at first recess, they can.  Please, don’t send candy.

Upcoming Events:
* Monday, September 18 – Parent Literacy Training in the gym 2:30-3:30 (There was a flyer that came home about this.  It will be really good if you can make it.)
*   Friday, September 22 – Family Fun Day
·      Monday, September 25 – PTA Family Movie Night                                                            5:00 & 7:00
·      Friday, September 29 – Family Fun Day
·      October 2-6 – SEP Week (School gets out at 2:30)
·      Wednesday, October 4 – Hearing Screening
·      Thursday, October 12 – Picture Retakes
·      Friday, October 13 – Family Fun Day
·      Friday, October 20 – Family Fun Day
·      Monday, October 23 – No School (Harvest Recess)
·      Friday, October 27 – Family Fun Day
·      Tuesday, October 31 – Halloween Party
·      Tuesday, October 31 – Carve Pumpkins with dads

(I will give more information about some of these, as it gets closer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment